[rescue] Starting Postfix (was: Building Sendmail 8.13.1)Z

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Sep 18 19:27:19 CDT 2004

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> So ... I guess it's installed.  It even sends mail out to the internet.  It
> won't send local mail, though, claiming the alias db is unavailable.

run newaliases.

> Now, my first question ... I don't see a start-up script or anything else in
> /etc/init.d that will start it.

Right.  I'm pretty sure deleting the /etc/rc2.d/S50mail link and
symlinking /usr/sbin/postfix to /etc/rc2.d/S50mail will do it.  If
not, just duplicate the "lp" (because it's one of the simplest) script
and have it call "/usr/sbin/postfix start" and "/usr/sbin/postfix stop"
where appropriate.

If you don't have a /usr/sbin/postfix, hunt around for it.
/usr/sbin/postfix is the location on Solaris, but, as my mail gateway is
now a Solaris box, I don't have an IRIX system with Postfix installed.

> Thanks.

"sendmail" is also now a wrapper around the postfix mail system.  A lot
of things will still work (like sending mail from /usr/lib/sendmail), but
I'm pretty sure that you can't use the sendmail command to kickstart the
MTA.

--
Jonathan Patschke )
Elgin, TX        (  "Ma'am, I can do anything.  I own a game store."