[rescue] Starting Postfix (was: Building Sendmail 8.13.1)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Sep 18 19:14:07 CDT 2004

Phil Stracchino said ...

> There's enough of us that run
> it that if you run into trouble we should be able to help you out.

Heh, OK.  You asked for it.

I downloaded, untarred, made, and made-installed Postifx 2.5.1.  I didn't
_see_ any errors in the make part, though in all that verbiage it might have
been hard to spot.

No complaints from the "make install" part, either.

So ... I guess it's installed.  It even sends mail out to the internet.  It
won't send local mail, though, claiming the alias db is unavailable.

Now, my first question ... I don't see a start-up script or anything else in
/etc/init.d that will start it.  "grep /etc postfix" shows nada, as do
grepping /etc/rc[0123].d and /etc/init.d.  Am I missing something, or does
it use some magical start-up method I don't know about?  I'm perfectly
capable of writing something that will "/usr/sbin/sendmail start" but if
it's already going to start ....

Thanks.

-Shel