[rescue] Building Sendmail 8.13.1

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri Sep 17 16:53:58 CDT 2004

Phil Stracchino says ...

> Installing Postfix is a breeze.

Good.  My son just told me I was a windbag, so this fits right in.

> The docs included with it should be
> enough to get you up and running if you're moderately familiar with
> MTAs,

"Moderately familiar" is about it.  I've run some sort of MTA on something
for about 10 years, and managed to keep from getting exploited, but I
haven't run one exposed to the 'net for a couple of years.  In that couple
of years, the 'net has gone to hell.  I get an amazing number of probes and
attempted exploits on a machine that runs no public services at all; it's
not the listed _anything_ for my domain.

The whole reason I want to do something about the MTA is that I want to have
more control over my mailserver.  I can't expose SGI's latest sendmail
(8.12.5 IIRC) since it has known security issues....

> and the docs on www.postfix.org, while not as well organized as
> they could be, are accurate and readable.

They still suffer from "Unix doco disease," though.  They are descriptive,
rather than prescriptive; assume too much knowledge on the part of the
reader; and ask for details without telling you how to find those details.
</whine>

> There's enough of us that run
> it that if you run into trouble we should be able to help you out.

Truth be told, that's more important to me than most other factors.

First, let's see if I can compile the sucker.

Thanks.

-Shel