[rescue] SGI Challenge L systems available in Denver

Kirk Lane ayocee at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 14:21:09 CDT 2004

> " LED taillights are truly great.  Shortly after GM started putting them
> " in the back of some Cadillacs, some hobbyists came out with a retrofit
> " kit to install similar lights in my truck; I bought one of the first
> " kits, since I was sick of the bulbs which were dim at best and
> " probably downright dangerous.  Considering that the taillights are
> " perfectly rectangular (1970 GMC) it probably didn't take a whole lot
> " of work to plot out a rectangular PCB with 168 LEDs and three wires to
> " a standard 1157 bulb socket.  The result is amazing.
>
> for a comparison - i didn't count them, but in each standard round
> flush-mount taillignt the fedex truck had less than 20 leds, maybe a
> dozen.

Yeah, those panels use a few larger LEDs; mine use a much smaller
size, it looked to be about the same as those in my computer cases
(though, far brighter of course).   Even then, there's quite a bit of
visible gap between the individual LEDs, even through the lens; I
remember they built a set of prototypes trying to get the solid red
appearance that the Cadillacs have, and it took over 400, possibly
over 500 per panel.

--
-Kirk
ayocee at gmail.com