[rescue] SGI Challenge L systems available in Denver

Daniel Johannsson djohanns at northwestern.edu
Thu Sep 16 16:25:00 CDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Dan Duncan wrote:

> With the advances in compact fluorescent and LED bulbs for flashlights,
> I have almost no incandescent bulbs in my house any more.  I switched
> over because the kids kept leaving them on all the time which ran up
> the power bill and heated the house.  I think in a few years incandescent
> bulbs and CRT monitors will be the exception rather than the rule.

Speaking of LED bulbs, there was a very interesting article on the subject
in the Chicago Tribune a few days ago, claiming that a Chi area company
was less than a year away from putting LED bulbs on the market that from
the outside look no different from an incandescent bulb.  The only real
difference being that it used a plastic dome instead of glass, and was
about 3 times the price of a regular bulb.  I did a little bit of looking
around and current LED "light bulb" offerings seem to run more in the
$70-100 range per bulb, so these should be pretty interesting.

I'm assuming that the power usage of a LED bulb would be a good amount
lower than a CF bulb, anyone more LED savvy know by how much?

later,

Dan Johannsson