[rescue] SGI Challenge L systems available in Denver

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Thu Sep 16 12:36:15 CDT 2004

Ethan O'Toole said ...

> I could never understand why they don't put return ducts in
> every room of
> the house that has doors that might be fully closed :-)

I can tell you: cost and complexity.  Ductwork costs money, and, if you have
a lot of it, the house's framing has to be designed to accommodate it, which
also costs.

Because they are built in hopes that someone will buy 'em, and because the
target market is largely "first house" people and other unsophisticated
buyers, low end tract and "spec" houses are generally built in a way that
maximizes eye-candy rather than function.  I've seen 'em with only two
ret-air ducts for a whole house, and both of those in, essentially, the same
space.  Those same houses are likely to have A/C that won't keep up on a
really hot day, minimal electrical service, etc.

Upper-end homes, and those built on contract for specific owners, are
generally better in this regard, but there are still some places you _don't_
want return air ducts, like kitchens and bathrooms.

-Shel