[rescue] SGI Challenge L systems available in Denver

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Thu Sep 16 12:08:46 CDT 2004

> Well, I let it run overnight once without any ducting, and the room was
> warmer than normal, but not that bad. But that was with no load and in
> it's current configuration (16x195MHz R10k). In a couple of weeks it
> will be getting a bit of an upgrade (12 more processors, 1GB more
> memory) and I hope to have it running next week (I keep putting off
> installing the OS, because it's such a pain) at that point, I will at
> least load SETI to keep it busy, so we will see what kind of heat it
> puts out.

Can the XL indeed take more than 16 R10k procs? I was under the impression
36 was in mind for R4400-250mhz, but with the R10k 195mhz CPUs 16 was the
limit? Or maybe it can hold 36 but the backplane can't really keep them
fed well.

> I have quite a few machines running in the room, lots of which are
> clients machines (I run a hosting/co-locating company on the side) and
> I can't have my toys cause problems with their machines.

I'm in the same boat. Moved stuff out of my house to a small office,
unfortuantely the power service isn't as big as I would like. However, it
can definitly still deliver a bigger bill than I can handle so I guess it
is a good thing.

> One thing that surprised me was the lack of heat the e450 generates. I
> was expecting much more heat (and noise) out of it.
> shawn

3 power supplies installed? We have two E3000s but they haven't been on
for a long period. One was up for a while and I didn't notice any heat
increase, but it can be hard singling out one system.

A while ago I was looking into setting up the Dallas 2 wire temperature
sensors for the room (maybe 8 of them) but I was kind of holding out for
humidity sensors as well.

--
: www.757tech.com  757 Technologies  (757)233-9460