[rescue] A new distributed project.

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Sep 15 13:45:01 CDT 2004

 Ethan O'Toole says ...

> I conversed in the message boards for the Folding at Home people, and
> they seem uninterested in anything outside of Windows, OS-X and Linux.

Yep, that's why I ended up running Distributed Folding, instead.

Since I have Stanford connections, I'd love to run Folding at Home, but the big
IRIX box is the one with the spare cycles, and F at H doesn't support IRIX.  DF
does.

Ditto most of the other distributed computing projects I've found.  They all
do Windows, next is Linux, then OS X, then Solaris.  By the time you get
down to Solaris, though, you're talking about a very few projects.  Beyond
that, the pickings are slim, indeed.

My hardware situation is ... a couple of Windows machines, fully occupied, a
tiny, slow Solaris machine ditto, and a bunch of SGI horsepower sitting
around doing nothing.  Heating season is coming on, so I'd like to put the
SGI stuff to work....

-Shel