[rescue] A new distributed project.

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Wed Sep 15 13:17:59 CDT 2004

> Since Distributed Folding
> (http://www.blueprint.org/proteinfolding/distributedfolding/index.html) is
> winding up at the end of the month, I'm looking for a new distributed
> computing project in which to participate.  I'd prefer something in the
> medical research field, and it has to run on IRIX as well as other things.
>
> I've looked in the usual places, and I can't find anything that lights my
> fire, so I'm looking for suggestions.
>
> If you want to "pile on" for the last bit of Distributed Folding, I'm sure
> the "geeks" team would welcome you.
>
> -Shel
> --
> Sheldon T. Hall
> shel at cmhcsys.com
> 206-842-2858

I conversed in the message boards for the Folding at Home people, and they
seem uninterested in anything outside of Windows, OS-X and Linux. There is
a large number of people asking for FreeBSD, and they won't even provide a
native binary. They say the reason they can't take the approach of the
distributed.net folks take is because of the complexity of what the client
is doing and the people required to support compiling it on several
platforms. Not sure if they are simply referring to the eye candy stuff
that many of us don't care about or the actual math routines and
calculations the client is performing. It would seem to me that a properly
written client (non-graphical) should port well to major UNIXes if it
compiles on Linux with the GNU tool chain. Oh well.

--
: www.757tech.com  757 Technologies  (757)233-9460