[rescue] Tape drive woes

lefa at ucsc.edu lefa at ucsc.edu
Tue Sep 14 17:09:00 CDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> Phil Stracchino says ...
>
> > NanoMarket estimates that
> > by 2011, the various naoscale memory technologies (*most* of which are
> > fast, non-volatile and radiation-hard, by the way), will own
> > 40% of the current *combined* RAM and disk market.
>
> I wonder if computing machinery and operating systems will get redesigned to
> take advantage of this.  If all your storage (and video display) is just one
> huge block of memory, a lot of the current complexity can just go away.  I
> predict interesting times.

HUh? What is the benefit of putting your video display and physical
storage as a single block... And as far as the computer is concerned, the
OS needs to do the translation between physical and logical paging. The
computer should only know about the physical items it has in RAM, storage
should be abstracted if possible.