[rescue] Tape drive woes

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Sep 14 16:58:57 CDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 02:49:24PM -0700, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Phil Stracchino says ...
>
> > NanoMarket estimates that
> > by 2011, the various naoscale memory technologies (*most* of which are
> > fast, non-volatile and radiation-hard, by the way), will own
> > 40% of the current *combined* RAM and disk market.
>
> I wonder if computing machinery and operating systems will get redesigned to
> take advantage of this.  If all your storage (and video display) is just one
> huge block of memory, a lot of the current complexity can just go away.  I
> predict interesting times.

Yup, I've had the same thought many times.  I've seen this coming for
quite a while now.  It's going to bring about a lot of changes.  For one
thing, non-volatility will mean that a machine can be instant-on,
instant-off, at any time, in any state; and the absence of moving parts
will mean that dense storage can be put in places you can't put it now
because of mechanical shock and vibration.  It'll also enable complete
systems to be built in exceedingly thin form-factors.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net