[rescue] Tape drive woes

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Sep 14 16:34:11 CDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 02:22:53PM -0700, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Quoth Phil Stracchino ....
>
> > I suspect that when some of the new nanoscale memory technologies that
> > are in the works now hit the market, tape is going to die.
> > Things like NRAM, for instance, or some of the holographic storage
> > technologies that are promising up to 1TB capacities.
>
> I just hope the prices aren't too silly.
>
> FWIW, the USB "thumbdrives" are becoming another very interesting tool.  My
> son carries a bootable/installable NetBSD image on one, and modern PCs will
> boot from USB devices ....
>
> I can well imagine that some nano-tech multi-GB storage item in the same
> formfactor might kill more than just tape.

Oh yeah.  Nantero demonstrated a working 10GB NRAM array this year.
It's based on carbon nanotubes, faster and denser than current RAM,
non-volatile, low-power, and radiation-hard.  NanoMarket estimates that
by 2011, the various naoscale memory technologies (*most* of which are
fast, non-volatile and radiation-hard, by the way), will own 40% of the
current *combined* RAM and disk market.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net