[rescue] Tape drive woes

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Sep 14 16:22:53 CDT 2004

Quoth Phil Stracchino ....

> I suspect that when some of the new nanoscale memory technologies that
> are in the works now hit the market, tape is going to die.
> Things like NRAM, for instance, or some of the holographic storage
> technologies that are promising up to 1TB capacities.

I just hope the prices aren't too silly.

FWIW, the USB "thumbdrives" are becoming another very interesting tool.  My
son carries a bootable/installable NetBSD image on one, and modern PCs will
boot from USB devices ....

I can well imagine that some nano-tech multi-GB storage item in the same
formfactor might kill more than just tape.

-Shel