[rescue] Swap E3000 Procs

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Tue Sep 14 13:35:57 CDT 2004

> I've got a couple of 336 Mhz procs to replace 250's that I have in an
> E3000.
> The replacement process seems straightforward, except I don't have the
> official Sun torque driver to squinch down the new procs.

Here's my advice:

Get the official tool, or buy a 6 in-lb torque screwdriver from eBay
(and a long, skinny Torx T5 bit, if memory serves).  The torque on these
CPUs really is important, because all you have is gold->gold contact.
There are no pins involved.

Honestly, it's easier to get the real Sun part.  Keep your eyes out on
eBay, or contant your local reseller, if you're willing to be gouged.

Good luck!