[rescue] OT: LPR & 9100

John Michael Bischoff biscjohn at locutus.isu.edu
Tue Sep 14 00:24:23 CDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Eric Webb wrote:

> Apologize again -- this is off the topic of rescue but wishing to tap into the
> braintrust here.
>
> Can someone explain to me the name of the "protocol" involved in printing to
> port 9100, usually on an HP JetDirect?  I believe this has nothing at all to
> do with LPR.

It's literally called jetdirect in most literature I've seen.

> -Eric
>
> (Work is implementing SAP.  SAP runs on HP-UX machines, but forwards LPR
> requests to a Win2003 spooler before hitting the end devices - usu.
> JetDirects.  It's sick, and it ain't working well at all.  So far, it takes 4
> Win2003 machines to fly ~160 print queues, and things are still taking 30
> minutes just to print.  We're talking print jobs usually < 10K each.  Appears
> to be a strange protocol handshaking issue and isn't network/cpu/ram
> dependent.  Now, if anyone has any ideas on this, you win the big prize..)

I dunno about 2003 specifically, but HP has a [free] product called
"install network printing wizard" to convince Redmondware that there is
such a thing as jetdirects.  Why don't you try to get HP-SUX to talk to
the jetdirects: one would presume it would be easier to get HP stuff
talking to other HP stuff than to insert a level of indirection.