[rescue] Tool kits?

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Sep 13 15:38:15 CDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 02:17:12PM -0400, William Enestvedt wrote:
> I want to spend some of the boss's money on a toolkit for the Data
> Center, since I use my LeatherMan waaaay too often. (Sure it's handy,
> but the place just needs to have some basic tools.) Does anyone have
> favorites?
>    Most of the stuff I see on the web is injection-molded plastic
> crapola, a la the Belkin kits for $29, but what I really want & need is
> a reasonable selection of well-made tools in a case. Any suggestions of
> brands, pro or con? (For example, the "Technician's Tool Kit" (part
> FT812) from Black Box.)
>    If I can't buy a good one, I'll just go nutty at a hardware store.
> Does anyone have favorite tools that they are missing from the following
> list?
> 	- Screwdrivers (phillips, hex, torx...?)
> 	- Needle-nose pliers
> 	- Wire cutter/stripper
> 	- Small sockets
> 	- Hex wrenches
> 	- Adjustable wrench [for rack feet]
> 	- Crimper for RJ45 & RJ11 (plus jacks!)
> 	-A whole mess o' Rip-Tite velcro cable ties
>    Thanks for any suggestions.
> -wde

IMHO, very few if any of the prepackaged toolkits are worth the cheap
plastic case they're packed in.  This includes the kits sold by Black
Box et al.

I have a Credo 1/4"-bit screwdriver set, augmented with a few
typically-not-included items such as T6 and T8 bits, socket bits in
3/16", 1/4" and 5/16", and a flexible-shaft drive (mine is EasyPower,
bought from Home Despot).  Most of the other tools noted above are
Stanley or other reputable brands.  I strongly suggest a decent digital
multimeter (Fluke if you can afford it, but my Radio Shack one is
perfectly adequate), a Cat5 network tester (Black Box makes a good one),
and here's one you probably haven't thought of:  a curved-tip hemostat
is a wonderful tool for placing and removing jumpers in cramped or
poorly-accessible locations.

Remember:  Buy a good one.  Then you only end up buying it once.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net