[rescue] NetApp home users

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon May 31 14:08:45 CDT 2004

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 02:55:46PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> > I've got a 520 here but it and the driive shelves are to the point of
> > "not enough storage for power consumed".
> So in other words, there *are* drivesize limitations?

If there are, I dont' know about them.  I've got four SCSI disk shelves of
seven 9G drives each.  Thats around 240-250G before RAID and filesystem
overhead.

I can get a single IDE drive that provides that much storage, and use about
50 times less power and put out less heat.  Sure, I don't get the awesome
Netapp features, but I can "emulate" snapshots to a degree:

http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

Bill

--
bill bradford