[rescue] U10 IDE?

Matthew Braun rescue at leydenjar.com
Mon May 31 13:32:51 CDT 2004

Well, I was just given a Ultra 10 with a SunPCI (Penguin) though no ram
or drive. In previous experience with U10's I found disk operations to
be outrageously slow. Now, I checked the previous discussion on this
but I couldn't find a conclusion. I could go for an OpenBoot compatible
SCSI controller (and then pay out the ass for disks) but have great
performance. Or I could get a replacement IDE controller, and use one
or two honkin' huge IDE drives for decent performance. But how decent
would it be? Since this would be a personal server, mostly accessed
over the network I'm not too worried about performance, but not having
to wait while the machine grinds would be nice.

What do y'all think?

(Oh, I was also given a copy of the NeXT Software Distribution 0.8 on
MO! Not that I have an MO drive, but it's still cool)

--
Today, today, each day I have waited for you.
And now do they not say you are strewn with the shells of Ishi river?