[rescue] Testing

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Sat May 29 09:31:57 CDT 2004

   On Sat, 29 May 2004, Peter Corlett wrote:

> Steve Sandau <ssandau at gwi.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > And let us not forget 'National Brotherhood Week,' 'Poisoning
> > Pigeons in the Park,' and, the all-time favorite 'the Vatican Rag.'
>
> Although it was /Werner von Braun/ that finally got him into hot water
> as it was a touch libellous.

   "'Once ze rockets are up, who kares vhere dey come down.
It's not my department', says Werner von Braun."

   I love that.

   Von Braun was a perfect target given his background.  He was also
viciously satirised in "Dr. Strangelove".  "Mein fuhrer!  I kan valk!"
I don't think that Stanley Kubrik got in trouble for that, and that's
a *lot* nastier than Tom Lehrer's ditty.

> I've heard people claim that it was what stopped him writing songs,
> although Tom himself claims that he just couldn't write satirical
> songs any more because reality was even more unbelievable.

   "There is no room for satire in a world in which Henry Kissinger
can be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize."  --  Attributed to Tom Lehrer,
although I'm sure of the accuracy of that.