[rescue] RS/6000 Model 590

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed May 26 15:17:58 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 26 May 2004 14:22, Charles Monett wrote:
> >Thanks for the confirmation.  From what I can see, all the cabling
> > appears secure.  I'm not sure how to get at
> >the power supply, though.  Having removed the side and front covers,
> > and all of the screws obviously securing the power supply, I still
> > can't free it.
>
> BTW, when was that thing last turned on? I've got a similar model -
> the 570 - and for some reason, it's recently decided to power up
> only after a day of time being off, even though it just happened
> recently in my possession(The thing throws a 001, then goes off).
> I almost want to get a spare power supply for this, since I know this
> shouldnt happen with a power supply, even for this
> big of a machine (it's only a 550W/10A).

According to my 7013-500 series Installation and Service Guide, that
code translates to "A loss of primary power has occurred."  You might
want to check fuses in the power supply, and that the switch is good
(it doesn't have something loose that's only suppling power when you
hold it up).

I've got a machine with a compatible power supply that's about to be
replaced with a faster machine (a 590) if you need a power supply.  Let
me know off-list if you want it.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/