[rescue] SWM Seeks SunOS 4.1.4 HME drivers

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Thu May 20 14:11:00 CDT 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004, "trygve lode" wrote:

> I maintain the hardware for Nyx.Net and I've managed to move
> a lot of people over to using newer machines running Solaris,
> but I still have some people and programs running on a couple
> of older Suns running SunOS 4.1.4.  I'd like to take down the
> oldest of these machines and have the other, slightly less obsolete,
> SunOS machine answer for it as well.

Good ol' SunOS 4.  It just goes and goes.  We've had SS1+/2/4's here with
uptimes > 800 days... nobody bothers to hack them anymore because they're
so freakin' old. :-)

> As far as I know, I can't multi-home a single network connection
> under SunOS, but it just so happens that I have a couple of
> 501-2919 Sbus FastEthernet cards which are supported under
> SunOS.  (Which means I can even bump the remaining machine
> up to 100BT at the same time.)

Actually, you can do it in SunOS4 - google for "VIF", or build the
portable PPP package.  Both methods let you add extra virtual interfaces
under SunOS4, and both are fairly lightweight/low overhead.  The "Apache
Survival Guide" chapter on virtual hosts explains more.

We used the PPP trick to run over 120 IP-based virtual hosts on a single
SPARC 20 (dual-SM81) in '95/96 under 4.1.4 - and were one of the first
sites to exceed a million hits per day. :-)

> However, I don't have the FastEthernet 2.1 disks for these cards
> and I've been absolutely unable to track down the SunOS HME
> drivers that would be on these disks.  Would anyone out there
> have copies of the drivers or know where I can get them?

It's entirely possible I can scrounge up media over in the vault; let me
see what I can find and I'll email you offlist if I can locate a driver
for you.

-- Chris