[rescue] SGI Indigo 2

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon May 17 10:53:53 CDT 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004 10:21:35 -0400 (EDT)
Nathan Raymond <nate at portents.com> wrote:

> Can I use 7200RPM 3.5" half-height SCA drives with adapters on a 3.5"
> sled, or are there space/thermal issues with this config?
Depends on the disk and the adapter. On the adapter because it must fit
mechanicaly, on the disk because it should not get hot. Different disks
with the same form factor, RPM and capacity may dissipate different
amounts of power. I had a Seagate Baracuda in an I2 without trouble.
Just try if it works.

> What's a good price to pay for GIO 100Base-T ethernet,
Don't know. Phobos G160 are quite rare. I suspect it will be expensive.

> and what's the performance like relative to the EISA 100Base-T?
> (A lot better I would expect.)
There are some benchmarks on vuurwerk... (google for "vuurwerk irix
sgi") A R10k machine should get OK performance out of an EISA 100BaseT
card for the cost of CPU load.

> Can it make use of 72-pin 128MB ECC RAM sticks, or is it really
> limited to 32MB (teal) and 64MB (purple)?
Make this         ^^^^^^          ^^^^^^^^ R4k / IP22 and R10k / IP28.
The color does not relate to the CPU, it relates to the max. GFX option.
There are purple R4k / IP22 machines with Impact. I think I have read
about maxing an I2 R10k / IP28 out by puting  8 x 128 MB in them. The
machine can't handle more then 1 GB RAM, so 12 x 128 MB is out. But 12 x
32 MB isn't bad. That is 768 MB RAM, way enough for an I2.

Get an Octane if you really need more RAM. The Octane is able to make
use of all this RAM as it has way more memory bandwith as the I2.

> How important is it to get gold-contact RAM?
I never care about that.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen