[rescue] challenge L backplane

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat May 8 12:37:16 CDT 2004

Fri, 07 May 2004 @ 14:59 -0400, Sheldon T. Hall said:

> Geoff Koehler writes ...
> >
> > In a nutshell, a deskside onyx backplane will support up to IR
> > graphics, but only has a slot for 1 CPU board (up to 4CPU's), and 1 MC3
> > board (2 G??).  The Challenge L backplane has no graphics support, but
> > has more memory and CPU slots.
>
> Heh.  The Challenge L can't take enough CPU or memory boards to suit me as
> it is.  The doco says you can get 8-way memory interleaving if you have four
> memory boards, but the L only has room for three.  On the other hand, it you
> can have something like 15 or 20 SCSI busses....

Hmmm... there aren't slots for 3 CPU boards and one memory board?

That sucks...

A friend has a Challenge L I thought about trying to max out, and I was
counting on being able to do 3 CPU and 1 memory board.  I could have
sworn when I looked in there it had room.

If not, oh well... hard to complain for free.

> I'd swap my Challenge L backplane for one with more eBUS slots and fewer VME
> slots, but the Onyx backplane is the wrong direction.

Yeah, which is really too bad.  Both are nice.

I want the graphics and more bus slots.  By the time I ever find what I
want, I won't be able to remember why I wanted it.

shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]