[rescue] Rescued iMacs looking for input on repair

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed May 5 18:45:40 CDT 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 03:14:07PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 12:57:48PM -0500, Wes Will wrote:
> > Yes, you -can- die, but most likely you'll just pick yourself off the floor
> > instead.
>
> I saw a friend get knocked back about 10 feet just from the power supply
> in a Sun 411 external enclosure.  He was using it as a temporary external
> SCSI box (with the top cover off), trying to get a balky piece of hardware
> to work.  Had it all plugged in and live, etc.
>
> Touched the wrong part of it (the power supply), and it was almost comical -
> it looked like he tensed up and kicked himself backwards.  Landed on the
> (carpeted) floor, out cold.

I have a friend who used to work around some very high-voltage equipment
that was in a safety cage with interlocks out the wazoo, all dsigned to
make sure that you COULD NOT inadvertently touch live bus-bars.
Unfortunately, he had a co-worker who was both lazy and stupid, who
resented the fact that the interlocks meant he had to perform extra
operations that meant taking about thirty seconds longer to get into the
cage, and who kept disabling the interlocks to save himself those thirty
seconds.  As a result of this, my buddy got knocked across the room
several times when things that should not have been live were.

He quit the job, even though at the time he didn't have another job to
go to, because he said that if he stayed at that job any longer, either
he was going to get a shock that'd kill him, or he was going to murder
his co-worker.

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :