[rescue] Rescued iMacs looking for input on repair

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed May 5 15:56:09 CDT 2004

On May 5, 2004, at 4:23 PM, William Enestvedt wrote:

> Bill Bradford wrote:
>>
>> On the other hand, we had a tech support guy / stoner who would
>> discharge CRTs with nothing more than a large, long flat-head
>> screwdrive and an impressive "BANG!".
>>
>    I have a question after reading this: you kept a stoner _on staff_?
>    Wait, no, I have a different question: how can you discharge one of
> these man-almost-killing capacitors without getting zapped? Does the
> metal implement have to be grounded to something (besides your central
> nrevous system)?
>     Not that I'll ever do it, since I know that I *don't* know which
> parts are the scary ones inside that metal shield that lines a CRT
> case.
> -wde
> --
> Will Enestvedt
> UNIX System Administrator
> Johnson & Wales University -- Providence, RI

You plug a grounding cable into the ground socket of a power outlet and
clip it to the chassis.  Then you clip your discharge tool to the
chassis.  Use one hand with another behind your back... and touch the
needle tip to the anode ring.... a couple of times...

You should also get in the habit of doing this every now and then...
I've seen disconnected tubes rebuild charges (at least once).

Andrew