[rescue] Rescued iMacs looking for input on repair

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed May 5 15:23:15 CDT 2004

Bill Bradford wrote:

> On the other hand, we had a tech support guy / stoner who would
> discharge CRTs with nothing more than a large, long flat-head
> screwdrive and an impressive "BANG!".

   I have a question after reading this: you kept a stoner _on staff_?
   Wait, no, I have a different question: how can you discharge one of
these man-almost-killing capacitors without getting zapped? Does the
metal implement have to be grounded to something (besides your central
nrevous system)?
    Not that I'll ever do it, since I know that I *don't* know which
parts are the scary ones inside that metal shield that lines a CRT case.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator