[rescue] Rescued iMacs looking for input on repair

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Wed May 5 13:07:41 CDT 2004

Wes Will wrote:

>At 01:07 PM 5/5/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>

>>Yeah... if you don't properly discharge the CRT (either with a
>>screwdriver and cable or a CRT discharge tool) you can die.  25kV is
>>not nice going through your body.  They're supposed to have bleeder
>>resistors but those don't always work.
>>Andrew
>>

>Yes, you -can- die, but most likely you'll just pick yourself off the floor
>instead.  I used to teach high school electronics back in the days of
>vacuum tubes and watched at least one imbecile who refused to listen to
>safety instructions get zapped every semester, every individual class.
>None died, all were thoroughly bruised after picking themselves up off the
>floor, and one particularly maladroit individual broke his forearm when he
>got nailed, having sort of looped that arm through the back of the metal
>lab stool he was sitting on before reaching into the 60's-vintage(*)
>television chassis he was trying to fix.
>
>Death or lack thereof isn't the whole issue, though.  It's a damnably
>unpleasant experience, in anyone's book.
>
>(*) - Generally speaking, the older the telly, the higher the anode
>voltage.  This thing was pumping well over 30KV when he got hold of it.
>(Or did it get hold of him?)
>
>--
>wes will

I got zapped a few times. Not by monitors (I am a bit afraid working on
them for the high voltage
thing) but while installing some controll gear. A stupid siemens guy
told me they not yet had powered
up the powerrails and beeing stupid I did trust him (I had to pull a
wire behind the rack and crawl true
the rails). Bad idea as the rails where fully powered allready and next
thing I remember was an
unpleasant feeling on my right shoulder.

-- Thomas