[rescue] Rescued iMacs looking for input on repair

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Wed May 5 12:57:48 CDT 2004

At 01:07 PM 5/5/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Yeah... if you don't properly discharge the CRT (either with a
>screwdriver and cable or a CRT discharge tool) you can die.  25kV is
>not nice going through your body.  They're supposed to have bleeder
>resistors but those don't always work.
>Andrew

Yes, you -can- die, but most likely you'll just pick yourself off the floor
instead.  I used to teach high school electronics back in the days of
vacuum tubes and watched at least one imbecile who refused to listen to
safety instructions get zapped every semester, every individual class.
None died, all were thoroughly bruised after picking themselves up off the
floor, and one particularly maladroit individual broke his forearm when he
got nailed, having sort of looped that arm through the back of the metal
lab stool he was sitting on before reaching into the 60's-vintage(*)
television chassis he was trying to fix.

Death or lack thereof isn't the whole issue, though.  It's a damnably
unpleasant experience, in anyone's book.

(*) - Generally speaking, the older the telly, the higher the anode
voltage.  This thing was pumping well over 30KV when he got hold of it.
(Or did it get hold of him?)

--
wes will