[rescue] first real server hardware

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed May 5 09:20:44 CDT 2004

On May 4, 2004, at 5:16 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Sorry, old email - catching up - anyway, dunno his name, there are
> like four guys, they get like 6 spots, and sell CRAP, absolute crap
> (IMHO). This year, I very nearly gave them some of my money, they had
> two E3000 chassis and an E450 chassis, along with an Ultra 10 - at the
> end of the day, they were looking for $100 for all four.
>
> But the server chassis were beat to hell and nearly stripped naked (MB
> & steel w/plastic skins with a lot of scuff marks - anything that
> could be sold, was), and the U10 had a very minimal configuration (128
> Meg RAM, mystery CPU, HD, video), though they said it would boot.
>
> Luckily, when I came back on Sunday, they were gone (the russians AND
> the Sun boxes ;^)
>
> And this year, I was a few spots away from them... That was nice.

Yes Boris... I too looked at those chassis.  One of the guys (not
Boris)... originally tried to smarm it up the first time I looked at
their stuff.  I walked away and came back on the other side... The
other guys including Boris were really quite nice and helpful... I came
back later to the original side and the smarm guy was also helpful...
so go figure (I guess he figured out the first time that I knew some of
what I was doing)

I got that REALLY nice B2000 from them.

$250.  Decent config... only a few scratches.

Andrew