[rescue] first real server hardware

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue May 4 16:16:48 CDT 2004

> From: "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com>
> Date: 2004/04/17 Sat AM 05:18:07 GMT
> To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: RE: [rescue] first real server hardware
>
>  Lionel Peterson says ...
> >
> > Then there's the russians (I always seem to get placed right next to
> > them) selling a literal truckload of crap, and a few nice items. The
> > crap is over-priced, but it appeals to some folks (look! sun
> > workstations for $10/ea! they were selling stripped SS/2 chassis...)...
> > Then, you find the one jewel - an Ultra 450 MB with RAM & loads of dense
> > RAM, but the price is $2,500! :^(
>
> Izzat Boris Peters?

Sorry, old email - catching up - anyway, dunno his name, there are like four guys, they get like 6 spots, and sell CRAP, absolute crap (IMHO). This year, I very nearly gave them some of my money, they had two E3000 chassis and an E450 chassis, along with an Ultra 10 - at the end of the day, they were looking for $100 for all four.

But the server chassis were beat to hell and nearly stripped naked (MB & steel w/plastic skins with a lot of scuff marks - anything that could be sold, was), and the U10 had a very minimal configuration (128 Meg RAM, mystery CPU, HD, video), though they said it would boot.

Luckily, when I came back on Sunday, they were gone (the russians AND the Sun boxes ;^)

And this year, I was a few spots away from them... That was nice.