[rescue] sun e450 salvage -questions

Janet L. Campbell janet at foonly.com
Tue May 4 20:12:02 CDT 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004, [iso-8859-1] Charles Redmond wrote:

> It has 4 CPU's present though I've yet to identify the
> type, but they have 4 MB cache.

Type ".speed" at the OpenBoot ok prompt.

> If I can identify the problem one can I just remove it
> and run on the remaining CPU's? Do I need to put in
> some type of terminator or anything ?

Yes.  No.  The CPU slot ordering for <4 CPUs is printed on the inside of
the side panel.

> There is also no ram in the system. Can I use U30 ram
> and is ram installed in banks, singly, in pairs or
> sets of 4 ?

In quads, though you will gain performance from memory interleave if you
have identical banks of 8 or one bank of 16.

> Finally, one of the three power supplies are missing.
> Are there any rules for how much you can run on two
> p/s as far as CPU's/disks go, or are all three
> actually required?

You can run any configuration on two power supplies.  The third gives you
redundancy with heavily loaded configurations.

Check out docs.sun.com for the E450 owners manuals, they have all of the
information you're looking for.

-Janet