[rescue] GPL Solaris?!?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon May 3 10:48:37 CDT 2004

> From: Peter Wargo <pwargo at basenji.com>
> Date: 2004/05/03 Mon AM 05:17:30 GMT
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>,  patrick at zill.net
> Subject: Re: [rescue] GPL Solaris?!?
>
> On May 2, 2004, at 10:53 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
>
> > Hmmm I have a U2 with 2 167's in it.  How much do faster procs go for
> > these days, and what would y'all recommend?
>
> The 300/2M CPU is one of the best, most reliable ones out there.  The
> performance is quite good, and they just don't die.  They should be $50
> or less on eBay.  The better one is the 501-4849, at rev. levels of 03
> or higher.  Be aware that you need CPU board 501-3132-07 or higher (not
> usually a problem), and if you are using one CPU you may need a UP
> terminator unless you have a fairly new rev system board.
>
> I have three U2's and one E250 with dual 300's and they all just run
> and run and run....

$/work done, the 300 MHz CPU is in a very sweet spot these days... They are quite affordable since many folks want 400 MHz CPUs once they know that is an option, and (I assume) several metric butt-loads of 300 MHz U2, U30, U60 and E250s (as well as others) have put a serious glut in the market place...

Pricing for "I want it now" CPUs looks like this:

167 MHz 1 MB - $25
250 MHz 1 MB - $50
300 Mhz 2 MB - $75
400 MHz 2 MB - $150

All are from recent ebay sightings, and are a guide to the current market only, nothing more. If you can wait for a deal, lower prices are certainly possible.