[rescue] Film Scanner

Matthew Braun mjbraun at leydenjar.com
Mon May 3 10:48:17 CDT 2004

> On May 1, 2004, at 12:16 PM, Michael Dombrowski wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>> I need a film scanner to scan a whole bunch of 35mm
>> negatives, any recommendations? Used is fine of
>> course.
>>

> For dedicated film scanners:
> Minolta Dimage Scan Dual. Under 300 bucks new.
>
> The Nikon Coolscans and Minolta Elites are great, but cost twice as
> much and more, They have ICE for removing dust/scratches.
>
> If you are scanning for the web, then maybe a cheap flatbed would
> suffice.

I'm using a Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual III (now obsolete; the Scan Dual
IV is out) and I have been pleased with it, though it has given me
trouble with OS X (10.3.3 isn't officially supported). Which brings me
to the one complaint: forget about anything resembling support from
Minolta. They instruct you to contact the vendor where you bought the
product (I'm sure the camera shop guys love giving out technical
support for every single product they sell). But otherwise, it's a
nice, low-cost and flexible little product (supports 35mm negatives,
slides, and has an optional APS feeder). When it was working, it was a
great little thing. No ICE (alas) but I just clean the hell out of my
negatives and I don't need it that much.

--
Today, today, each day I have waited for you.
And now do they not say you are strewn with the shells of Ishi river?