[rescue] i860 Success

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Sun May 2 15:00:52 CDT 2004

On Sun, 2 May 2004 InnfoGraphics at aol.com wrote:

> Wasn't the BIIN computer project one of those that used the i860? It was a
> joint project between Siemens 95% and Intel 5% in the late 1980s and I think it
> used at least 2 CPUs,
>
> I have the original test bed for the BIIN CPU board and documentation
> on it.

No, that machine came before the 860 I think, it was supposed to used the
next generation of iaxp432 CPUS. That CPU eventually became the i960 not
the 860. It was supposed to be a micro/mini with full object oriented
support in HW, but faster than the original 432 (which was supposed to be
dog slow). I don't know if ADA was their intended target audience, but
that sort of explains why the 960 was developed as a requirement by the
DoD.