[rescue] MB or PS

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun May 2 04:39:41 CDT 2004

> From: Robert Rose <rescue at mylighthouse.net>
> Date: 2004/05/02 Sun AM 07:43:01 GMT
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [rescue] MB or PS
>
> I got me a busted Ultra 2, symptoms are that the machine appears to
> die, everything unresponsive.  Power cycle fixed it a couple of times,

> Have stripped out all sbus cards and swapped out CPU for a spare, same
> symptoms.  I can probably invest a small amount of cash to get it going
> again, so I'm after opinions on whether I should replace the
> motherboard or the power supply first, or if there are any other
> suggestions on where to look.

My first advice, is for you to go on to ebay and see if you can find one of those cheap Cycle 4 chassis, like here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20328&item=3094092413&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Then migrate all your bits to that chassis and be done with it... To fix the PS will cost at least $30 (replacement cost + S/H), and you may be able to find an Ultra 2 base (MB & PS) for under $50, but I'd say go the extra mile, get a real nice base, migrate your current system CPU/RAM/HD (they will all fit inside nicely) and start looking for some more cheap CPUs.

The CycleQuad is PCI-based, so you can't migrate any SBUS cards, but Ethernet/Video cards are about $20 on Ebay, if you need this to be a graphical desktop...

I have a CycleQuad, as do a few other folks on th elist, and they are nice little boxes...

I have no connection to the cited ebay sale, just a prior customer.