[rescue] Re: Compaq Proliant 8000

ghub005 ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Sun May 2 03:52:18 CDT 2004

Pete said:

Well, I have a "Rev. A" dual 2GHz, and it has been the most stable
machine I've ever bought new.  It just runs and runs... (For seven
months now...)

-----------------<end quote>-----------------

I'm not implying the Rev A G5 systems are unreliable. Rather I just meant that
I'm waiting for the Rev B systems to hit the market.

AFAIK the only common glitches with the Rev A G5 systems are the occasional
noise on the digital audio outputs, and a badly positioned temperature sensor
on the internal drive cage. There are also a couple of design quirks like the
two internal drive plus one single optical drive limit.

Neither of these problems are stopping me from getting a Rev A system to
replace the dual 1.25GHz G4 MDD (FW800) system I bought last year. To my
way of thinking, the Rev B systems will have faster processors and will
hopefully be launched with updated graphics options. The new PPC 970FX
processors will also dissipate about half the heat of the current G5
workstations.

Regards,

Gavin