[rescue] FrameMaker FYI

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Thu Mar 25 21:25:09 CST 2004

On Mar 25, 2004, at 4:01 PM, Mike Parson wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 03:28:09PM -0500, Kevin wrote:
>> I'm not about to ask my electrician for advise on
>> where to get my suits cleaned, so why ask an accountant for advise on
>> IT systems?
>
> I think it's along the same lines as when I was in junior high and
> high-school.  I've never been real strong with higher maths, much more
> than algebra II and it just never took.  Teachers were always confused,
> "But you use computers, you should be good at math, right?"
>
> So, I guess if you trust that your accountant is good at math, he must
> know computers, right?  After all, he's using something other than Word
> and IE, and that takes computer talent!

There's more to it. back in the olden days (back before some of you
were born!) computers were sold to many small businesses primarily as
accounting systems, so lots of accountants became familiar with
computers (either because they wanted to, or were forced to by work,
etc), so it became natural that accountants would be looked to for
computer advice when you're buying a computer to keep your books on. I
remember looking into accounting packages, those were the good old
days! :)

-Mike