[rescue] FrameMaker FYI

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Mar 25 12:50:15 CST 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 01:25:38PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Thu, 25 Mar 2004 @ 12:27 +0000, Lionel Peterson said:
>
> > I had occasion to look through an MS Press book published this month, and found that MS Press uses FrameMaker for producing their books. I don't have the book in front of me, but the way the note in the back of the book read, FrameMaker was used in between the authors output and the printing press (layout, not content creation).
> >
> > Interesting... ;^)
>
> Ever tried to use Word for anything serious?

I've always considered one of the most incongruously-named software
packages ever to be "Microsoft Works".  :)

But yeah, Word and big documents can get real ugly, real fast.  And if
anything, it seems to have gotten less stable as time goes by, not more.
I suspect a major part of the problem is they've been tacking on bells
and whistles for so long that nobody really understands how it all works
any more, and probably no-one really understands how the core engine
REALLY works any more (assuming they can even find it under all the
bloat).

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :