[rescue] FrameMaker

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Mar 22 10:00:50 CST 2004

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 @ 12:14 +0000, Lionel Peterson said:

> > From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> > Date: 2004/03/21 Sun PM 05:57:29 GMT
> > To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> > Subject: Re: [rescue] FrameMaker
>
> > I watched a show on TV years ago about a book publisher,
> > and their whole operation ran on a UNIX system running
> > TeX.  Every source they got was converted into TeX for
> > printing.  Pretty cool stuff.
> >
> > Another shop on the same show was all PostScript.
>
> Good lord, what show was that?

Just a fairly simple overview of a print shop.  Ever watch those shows
where they document the operation of a factory, candy-shop, or some
other industrial operation?  It was something like that, only a printing
operation.

They had tons of crufty stuff, and the manager talked about
computerization to make things better.  They interviewed one of the
printer-geeks, and he specifically mentioned PostScript and TeX.  Just
a passing reference, and they said things were much easier if the
converted everyting to a single format to drive the presses.

I also saw a mix of Sun 680x0 and SPARC machines, so I'm guessing this
was around 1992.

Of course... I was attending college then, so I suppose I'm wrong and it
was a case study video.  I felt pretty sure it was on TV though.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [There is a limit to how stupid people really
are -- just as there's a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.