[rescue] FrameMaker

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Mar 22 09:52:53 CST 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 08:39:19AM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 06:48:29PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:57:29PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>> Not entirely, as a few authors still submit their books in nroff.  I
>>> was reading a question from one of them recently.
>>
>> The Regular Expressions book guy, Jeffrey Friedl, did/does both of
>> his regex boox in nroff/troff from what I hear.  This was one of the
>> reasons that it took so long for it to show up in one of the "CD
>> Bookshelf" collections.
>
> Why would nroff/troff make it take longer to show up in a CD version?
> Wouldn't that be a natural format to use for easy conversion?  I must
> admit, I've never used either program, but I was under the impression
> that they were very open.

It is very open, and I use it for almost all my documentation, even my
resume.  However, nroff->HTML (well, groff, these days) is still a bit
lacking.  The latest grohtml (HTML pre- and post-processor) is almost
there, but it still takes a bit of hand-tweeking the output to look like
your ASCII or PS output.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org