[rescue] Is anyone running netalk on solaris 9 sparc?

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Sun Mar 14 13:44:45 CST 2004

Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Mar 14, 2004, at 2:00 PM, Steve Sandau wrote:
>
>> Ahh. I feel less stupid. We were trying to find a pre-compiled 64-bit
>> version of gcc for SPARC Solaris, I think. I couldn't find one, and I
>> couldn't get the make-your-own instructions to work.
>

>   Would you like me to try to compile a 64-bit-capable GCC for you here,
> or is it no longer an issue?

Thanks for the offer, Dave. Sunfreeware now boasts a gcc that "can
create 64-bit executables via the -m64 flag as well as the usual 32-bit
ones." I don't think this was available the first time I tried this.
Since this is now a don't-need-it-but-it-would-be-nice-to-try-it kind of
project, I think I'll try that one and let you know if I have problems
with it.

I have to finish the Oracle8i to 9i database upgrade test on my spare U1
before I can go back to the Informix 64-bit test. I finally gave up on
the 64-bit Informix setup for the Navy, partly because the Informix
folks told me that the benefits for us would be negligible. And, if I
did the switch, I'd have to recompile all the 4gl and the runners and so
on. Further, this is a temporary (1-2 years only) setup.

I take it that "64-bit capable" is a better descsription than plain
64-bit? I assume then that it makes either 64-bit or 32-bit executables.
And, just because the 32-bit gcc can make a 64-bit gcc doesn't mean that
it can make a 64-bit anything-else, right?

Steve