[rescue] suitability for use question

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sat Mar 6 10:00:24 CST 2004

On Saturday 06 March 2004 10:16, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> I hadn't even put much thought yet into the scsi chain bandwidth.
> Depending on the box I go with I could always use multiple busses,
> but yes, the tower is currently wired as one bus.  If I can
> control the read speed though, I think the bus could handle 7
> simultaneous rips at 4x, 6x, and possibly 8x (but that would be
> pushing it).  I based this on 600k X 7, 900k X 7, and 1200K x 7
> and knowing there is 10M/sec on the buss...  although, if I use
> a PC, I wonder if the UltraPlex 32s do Ultra SCSI... which would
> give me 20MB/sec on the narrow bus and possibly jump what I could
> handle up to 12x.... ???

One thing to take into consideration is that the max data disk speed on
drives seems not to be the max speed they can read audio disks,
especially on older drives.  In my experience, I don't think I've been
able to rip an audio CD any faster than 6x to 8x, even on my last
drive, which could *burn* cds at 40x.

So, that would mean 6.4MB/sec + some SCSI bus overhead for 7 drives -
should work out fine assuming the drives have semi-sane SCSI
interfaces.

For encoders, I used lame before I switched to encoding things using ogg
vorbis[1].  I'd say lame is a great mp3 encoder.

I'd say give it a shot, and let us know how it went.

[1] I had disbelief that ogg was a better format than mp3 at first.  I'm
definately not an audiophile, and generally encode my mp3's at
128-192kBit/s.  I was impressed - yes, ogg is really that much better.
The only thing I regret is not having an ogg-compatible portable music
device other than my laptop, and that's not too convenient to use as
one.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/