[rescue] SS5 mobo

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Mar 2 14:03:07 CST 2004

On Mar 2, 2004, at 2:45 PM, Nadine Miller wrote:
>>> I almost forgot this one...
>>>
>>> SS5 mobo, no RAM.  Assume it works, but have
>> 170MHz?
>
> Dunno.  There's no mbus-type module in the right
> hand slot (viewing from the back), but I've never
> worked on SS5's.  Is the CPU soldered on the mobo
> on SS5's?
>
> There is a big chip with a round heatsink on the
> left hand side of the board:

   That's the processor.  It's either soldered or socketed depending on
when the board was made, but is not "upgradeable" in the SS10/SS20
sense.  The Mbus in an SS5 is "virtual" and doesn't come out to a
physical socket.

> SUN
> STP1012PGA
> MB86904
> F Japan
> 9423 Y03F
> -85

   That's an 85MHz MicroSPARC-II SS5.

       -Dave

Cape Coral, FL                   feels a little better."     -Ed