[rescue] A Question about Snap Servers

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Jul 31 11:40:59 CDT 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Eric Webb wrote:

> Now, really... I'm all for running lotsa stuff, having labs, etc.,
> but why the heck the need to split off a low-bandwidth service
> such as DNS?

Because running DNS on the gateway is the Wrong Thing to do.  Hell,
running anything other than gateway processes on the gateway is the
Wrong Thing.  It's just that the gateway is soon to get a truckload of
IPsec stuff to do.

And the audio chip in the 'classic makes it useful to keep around as a
monitoring box.  I could have one of the Ultra 1Es or RS/6000s do that,
but audio on AIX sucks and the U1Es are already pretty overburdened.

> Until I can complete the new house with basement idea, noise and heat
> from too many machines are a problem.  Wifey's already pissed at me
> for freezing her just trying to keep this office/bedroom livable.

I'm that guy -right now-.  However, I just put up the radiant barrient
insulation in the computer room a few hours ago, and the air
conditioning is going in today (or tomorrow if I have problems).  I'll
have machines in there (like the VAXstation) that will be contributing
absolutely nothing to the state of the world aside from being what they
are, and other machines (like the multiprocessor DEC 7000s) that are
just -looking- for something to chew on.

> So for now things are stacked up in the closet waiting for that magic
> day.

That day is at hand here in Elgin, and there is much rejoicing.

--
Jonathan Patschke )"We're Germans and we use Unix.  That's a combination
Elgin, TX        (  of two demographic groups known to have no sense of