[rescue] openbsd and scsi drives...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 26 11:06:55 CST 2004

> From: "Stephen Sukovich" <ssukovich at tampabay.rr.com>
> Date: 2004/02/26 Thu PM 04:27:48 GMT
> To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: [rescue] openbsd and scsi drives...
>
> I finally got my e150 running openbsd 3.4 and im stumped.
> I have 12 sca scsi drives in the cage, and it only probes
> 4 of them from openbsd. It seems only to find the very first
> four or target 2, 3, 4, and 5. Im using an esp/hme card. I
> did try using MAKEDEV and making a few of the devices. All
> the drives do probe from the openprom prompt. So im just
> wonder if any openbsd guru knows how to fix this :)

It sounds like the E150 has a second SCSI controller that may not be supported
by OpenBSD - the "Differential Ultra/Wide SCSI (UDWIS/S)" didn't appear to be
on the OpenBSD/SPARC page as compatible (see:
http://www.openbsd.org/sparc.html#hardware), but I didn't look too hard...

Also, the E150 wasn't listed as either supported or unsupported under
http://www.openbsd.org/sparc64.html#hardware...

My money is on an unsupported controller being the problem, esp. since you say
the OpenBoot PROM finds all the devices, eliminating electrical/physical
issues with the drive connections.

HTH,

Lionel
lionel 4287 at verizon net