[rescue] Serial console on IBM RS/6000 250?

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sun Feb 22 16:41:58 CST 2004

On Feb 22, 2004, at 4:49 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   We are.  But many of Medeco's blanks fall under the "controlled"
> category.  The ones IBM used for their machines may or may not be
> (probably not) but many of them were.  The Medeco locksets I got were
> removed from the old NRA headquarters building in Maryland, which
> Digex moved into...not exactly the Pentagon.  They would not sell me
> blanks to fit those locksets.  I wound up having my genius machinist
> friend rearrange the pins and file down some of the existing keys.
>
>          -Dave

And indeed this doesn't address what I was talking about ... namely
being able to walk into any locksmith's place without a key but with
the lock itself and have him make a key for it.  You would need blanks,
and you would need the matching IBM Key code which is a certain number
of digits for that machine (based on serial number).  I called IBM and
they would give me the key code for $1500.  (This was after much
hunting and phone hand-offs over a period of several days).  I found
these puppies on a loading dock at Cornell (well actually someone else
did and sold them to me).  That's 7 x $1500 for machines that aren't
worth $2 each.  I brought out the old cordless drill and drilled the
pins... then a nice flat head screwdriver and POP... a turnable working
lock.

Andrew