[rescue] Serial console on IBM RS/6000 250?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Feb 22 15:49:03 CST 2004

On Feb 22, 2004, at 4:44 PM, Linc Fessenden wrote:
>>    I'm sorry Linc, but this is simply not true.  There are many Medeco
>> blank types that they simply will not sell to other than their
>> registered "owners".  In fact, for a not-so-small fee, you can even
>> have a certain blank design dedicated to your organization, and Medeco
>> will not sell compatible blanks to anyone other than a registered
>> person from that organization.
>
> Call em man.  If you're an authorized reseller (i.e. locksmith that
> resells medeco) you can get blanks directly from medeco.

   I have.  I had Medeco locks on my house at one point.

>   Now I understand that there are some that you can't get - like those
> used for government contract work, but anything not for some custom
> project like that is available from them.  Obviously they aren't gonna
> give you the blanks for the lock sets at the pentagon, but I was under
> the impression we were talking about a much broader spectrum here...

   We are.  But many of Medeco's blanks fall under the "controlled"
category.  The ones IBM used for their machines may or may not be
(probably not) but many of them were.  The Medeco locksets I got were
removed from the old NRA headquarters building in Maryland, which Digex
moved into...not exactly the Pentagon.  They would not sell me blanks
to fit those locksets.  I wound up having my genius machinist friend
rearrange the pins and file down some of the existing keys.

          -Dave

Cape Coral, FL                   feels a little better."     -Ed