[rescue] Serial console on IBM RS/6000 250?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sun Feb 22 11:17:21 CST 2004

Jon declared on Sunday 22 February 2004 11:03 am:
> A stream of electrons on the network once looked like:
> > Indeed not... a drill and a big honkin flat head screwdriver are
> > your friends in this case.
>
> When I needed to get my SS1000 running I disassembled the powersupply
> and pulled the keyswitch.  A local locksmith had no trouble cutting a
> key that works very well on the 4-position lock.  Only $8-$12 and the
> machine is not damaged in any way.

The problem with trying to do that with RS/6000's is that IBM used MEDCO
locks, which are "high security" keylocks, which I've been told you
can't just go out and get blanks for. If you're lucky, you might get a
generic that sorta-works, but I'm doubtful that you'll be able to get a
replacement key that works without going through MEDCO.

I'd recommend either disassembling the lock and pulling the pins out
(I've done it before, it's easier on the second one you do than the
first ;) or replace it with another one.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        --- http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/