[rescue] saturday morning rescue

Jeff Cole jeff at flambe.org
Sat Feb 21 16:34:28 CST 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 10:09:57AM -0700, dave venable wrote:
> the U5 has an unknown password on the nvram, will the old "boot it with
> the nvram out, and stick it in later" trick that I used on my U1 work
> with a U5?

It will work, but, it might fry the NVRAM instead.

For the people not familiar, here's the steps:

1.  Boot your machine and wait until the memory checking finish.
2. Press STOP-A to access prom.
3. Press "n" to access new command mode.
4. You are now at "PROM PASSWORD :"
5. Very very gently remove the NVRAM
6. Press "Enter".
7. You are now at OK Prom.
8. Very very gently place the NVRAM back
9. Use command "setenv security-mode none".
10. Use command "nvstore" to store the configuration.

There you go!

(Obtained from http://oregonstate.edu/~wanalern/nvram.htm and edited slightly)