[RESCUE] Any HP/Nextstep PA gurus about?

William Barnett-Lewis wlewis at mailbag.com
Fri Feb 20 10:37:26 CST 2004

Answering all three at once here,

> Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez <lefa at ucsc.edu>
> NextStep for PA was a pain in the neck to install on my 755, I am too
> using a plextor CD. It turned out that changing from a 2 GB to a 1GB HDD
> solved the installation problem, never truly figured out what was going on
> with the previous HDD (which I had used to install other OSs w/o any
> problem).

Changing to a smaller drive I haven't tried yet.

> Other than that NS is very picky about both the CD rom or the CD-R media
> it may come in. Was a petty painful install as far as I can remember. You
> should also play with either the CDROM having an ID higher than the HDD or
> vice versa, since I think the instructions on OpenPA were wrong. As usual
> I figure things out and I am too lazy to write down the procedure (so I am
> talking from hazy memories).

I've tried the id's both ways and still get the same response.

> From: Gerhard Lenerz <mail at g-lenerz.de>
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:19:32 -0600
> William Barnett-Lewis <wlewis at mailbag.com> wrote:
>

>> So the question is - just how fussy is the 715 about bootable cdrom
>> drives? I have my 512k block 4x Plextor installed that boots sun, sgi,
>> vax, etc. with no problem but I'm getting a "boot process failed" error.
>

> I've used Plextors (UltraPlex 32x) successfully on any HP9000 I own
> so far (710, 720, older 715) without problems. Maybe it's possible
> that older drives cause more trouble.
>
> The only system I wasn't able to boot with it was a VAXstation 3100.

Well, so far, this is the only system I can't boot with this drive. It
seems strange... I wonder if there are boot rom revision issues with
these systems like some Suns?

>Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
>> I have my 512k block 4x Plextor installed that boots sun, sgi, vax,
>> etc.
>
> I had trouble with a Plextor on a VAXstation. They are not absolute
> troubleless. Maybe you should try an other CDROM drive.

Does anyone know if either the AppleCD 8x (model cr-506c) or Sony
CDU-8012 (pulled from a sun lunchbox) understand 512k blocks? Otherwise
I need to find an old Toshiba XM-3401 drive according to the HPPA
hardware TIL at Apple.

>> I am using the command "boot scsi.1" to try to boot.
>
> Did you try a search for boot devices? ("sea scsi" or the like.)

Yes and both the plextor and the Seagate st15150n 4gb drive show up just
fine.

Then I had one other suggestion offline about some drives being touchy
about fast burned cdr's. But a reburn a 1x didn't help either.

Thanks all for all the help thus far and for any future assistance as well.

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.